Thursday, September 14, 2006

Make-Over Story

Well, I took Coal to the vet, and he is thankfully as healthy as a horse - or a cat, I guess. His teeth are gleaming, his coat is shining (yup, all over the vet's pristine white doctor coat...), his ears are clean (ha Kent!!!! My cat has clean ears and yours doesn't!), there's no wierd bumps or lumps, and Coal was the best behaved kitty they've ever seen in their entire vet careers! (Well, that last bit might have been a tiny bit of extrapolation on my part... but he was amazing as always. The last vet said, "Is he always this calm?" to which I said, "Yes, we find that a couple of Gravols in his water dish each day keeps him quite Zen.")

The vet said however, that he's slightly, mildly, just a teeeeeeny, tiiiiiiiiny touch - - well, fluffy. Chubby. Portly. Puffy. Well, you know overweight. I prefer to think of him as stocky. Strong. Powerful. Big Boned. So he gave us the choice to put him on a fancy-shmancy vet food diet. Since the food costs the same as his current food I figured why not, only the best for my [insert annoying term of endearment here] - they said we'll notice a big difference. Plus, it's more convenient than sticking my finger down his throat every time he sniffs a morsel. The difference I 'm the most worried about though, is the mocking that will occur when KD notices the difference that we now feed our cat the fancy vet cat food... :-)

His current weight is 15.2 lbs. (Coal's, not KD's.) Last year he was 14.3 lbs. (Again, Coal, not KD.) And since he's been on the "Indoor Cat" food (euphemism for "Weight Control") for the past year and he's still bulked up, the vet thought we should probably put the little face-stuffing food snogger on the prescription food, just so that the other little cats at daycare don't make fun of him. So, cruel world, get read for a svelter Coal in the future... But don't get me wrong, we're not fat-ist here. We like him just the way he is and we'll be sure to engage in healthy self-esteem reinforcement, make physical activity fun, find him positive role models, and nutritious snacking. I'll keep you posted, but subtly, so that we don't damage his self-image. So when you see him, don't mention it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home