Saturday, July 22, 2006

Carol Shields: Overrated???

I know, I have just spoken blasphemy. And for that, I am sorry. But let me explain.

The first chapters were good. Really, really, REALY good. I was mesmerized by her detailed descriptions of nothing - well - not nothing, but of just plain ole everyday life. I couldn't get enough. The language was rich and the details about ordinary stuff were so ... I dunno... striking. And beautiful.

Now I'm just meh.

I have been trying to figure out why. I know she's a genious and all that, but I don't really care about her characters all that much. They aren't terribly interesting. I dunno, maybe it just doesn't feel that relevant or identifiable to me... The main protagonist is old, and thinking back on her life, and welllllllll... it's just not grabbing me these days. I am wondering who cares.

I have a suspicion that I'm just needing to read some stuff that is more related to my life right now. Not that I always do, that's the joy of reading obviously, is reading about people who are not like you. But I dunno, maybe it's summer (lazy)... maybe it's that I'm so busy right now (wired and ADD), but I don't feel like reading about old ladies looking reflectively back on their lives. I need a bit more action, punch, sassiness. (Did I just say sassiness?????? Bleck.) But anyways, I bought (DON'T TELL ANYONE) a couple new books that are more summery. You know, pink covers, martini glasses, stillettos on the cover... Just kidding. (Not that I wouldn't mind, that sounds about exactly my speed right now.) But I do think the 2 I bought will hold my interest a bit better. I just couldn't really imagine reading the grandma book on the beach... I'll keep ya posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home