Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Running Just as Fast as I Can...

The gym was all abuzz this morning with talk of the National Capital Race Weekend, and especially the marathon. Apparently there will be over 30 000 participants, and it is "Canada's largest running event." It was nice, it got me a bit energized and excited about my fundraising 5 k on Saturday (part of the race weekend).

Getting up this morning was difficult. Yesterday and today I have actually gotten up before work and gone to the gym. This is monumental for me, as I mentioned. I have set my alarm millions of times in my life to get up early to work out and failed 99.9999% of those times. In fact I can't ever remember actually doing it. Until yesterday. I got up and did a workout before work both days now!

Anyways, it's not easy but it's happening. This morning I found my run hard, and had to slow down and walk for a minute, twice. Normally I don't walk during my time on the treadmill. Anyways, I got through it, and ran about 3.7 km in 30 minutes, which is not substantially worse than when I don't walk (just call me Speedy Gonzalles, not...) so whatever. Though to be fair, I did increase the incline on the treadmill today*.

As I was stretching at the end I was eavesdropping (as always) on the other people as they talked about the upcoming race weekend, and their upcoming marathons. I was secretly giggling, as I had just finished my teeny-tiny little 3.7 k and feeling a bit sorry for my sad tired self, as they discussed how their IronMan marathon times are pretty close to their regular marathon times despite having just finished a 3.8 km swim and a 180 km bike before running their full marathon of 26.2 mile (42 km). You know, the legs are warmed up by then.

Huh! My legs felt like crap during my run this morning. Maybe I should try that!

Sponsor me in my run info here

*Thanks to the advice of a guru.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home