Tuesday, May 16, 2006

GYM: Is The Bloom Fading?

So I made it through two weeks of every (week)day to the gym. But I think now is when the true test begins. The shine is wearing off a bit as the novelty fades. Those who know me know that I am a novelty-junkie. I start new classes and courses all the time and then move onto the next one before I have mastered the previous (For example? Spanish Shmanish! I need to learn Arabic!!! Oh! and knitting? Stay tuned for the pics of my two-year old knitting project - it's a scarf. After two years, it's approximately 2 inches long. But it's curly. and holesy. and bumpy. and misshapen. But flat, uniform, shapely, hole-free knitted scarves are overrated.) *

Yesterday morning (Monday morning) I nearly fell back to old habits. I burrowed back under my covers, "listened to the radio" (read: slept in), then tardily rolled out of bed and was slowly being sucked into the abyss of surfing the day away (and not in the bikini and sun-soaked physical activity kinda way...). Luckily I snapped out of it and did head to the gym. (It's all about them sparkly happyface stickers on the calendar...) I ended up doing a good workout though, increasing my weight on all exercises (me like Ahhhnold) except one, which I increased the number of reps for instead (I am a spaghetti-armed pansy at the overhead press). So I felt awesome after, but wow did I almost succumb. This morning however, I did get up and made it there in time for a 9am (I know!!) class. It was a core strengthening class with the balls (large and small). Those little bastards really give you a workout - I get tired just trying not to fall off, let alone doing the impossible exercises on top of it. My abs are in tears already, and it's not even the next day yet. It was awesome though, I was really impressed. I'm so sad now that after just having found the class, I won't be able to do it any more due to a temp position I will likely be starting next week. I know. Damn wage-earning getting in the way of my six-pack dreams. *wink* (Though it is definitely time for my credit cards to lose a little girth!)

So my next plan is to start going to the gym before work. "Ha! Ha-ha!" says you who knows me. For Ms. Kim is not a morning girl, to put it mildly. I cannot even tell you the ridiculous number of times in my life that I have set my alarm to go to the gym before class or work. I laugh at that 6 am alarm clock, snickering at the naive psychopath who continually sets it the night before, gym clothes laid out for the morning. But this time? This time I need to do it. I don't want to lose this habit, and the only time it makes sense (Ha! Ya right. Makes sense the way nuclearastrofission calculus makes sense) is the morning. Besides, I have committed to running a 5K fundraiser in 11 days, so I need to go so I that don't die on the asphalt in front of my fans.** So, I think I deserve double stickers on the days when I get up and go before work. Stickers? I deserve a freakin Porsche if I get up and go to the gym at that ungodly hour. Anyways, there it is. I am determined this time. Pray for me as you press your snooze button.


* Though the novelty may have worn down a bit, I am still really enjoying getting to the gym and I'm still really motivated and excited about it. I fell so much better these days!

**Today I ran 4K in 30 minutes, which theoretically means roughly 38 minutes for 5 K. I'd really like to cut that down. Can I do that in 11 days? Anyone know these things? Dad, Verle???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home