Saturday, May 27, 2006

Done and done

Hey! I did it! Did you see me? I was the one in pink who looked like she was having a root canal without anesthetic in the last km! And guess what. My time? I ran it on the treadmill (downhill) in 38 minutes, so I was hoping to race it in 40 min, as that would be a slight improvement, what with hills, crowds, etc. Welllll.... my time was 31:07! I was very happy. And I didn't walk ever. And it was soooooooooo hot* that I felt that I might puke for about the last 3 K.

6276 people ran the 5 K, and I was 1279th, so that means nearly 5000 people finished after me. YAY!!!! I was 457th out of the women, and if you assume that it was evenly split (?I have no idea if that's a safe assumption... maybe not actually), then that is pretty acceptable.

Whoo hoo!!!

It was a neat experience. So many people, which meant so many spectators! It was a little crazy at first, 6200 people jammed into Elgin Street, but it got better once I blew past everyone and busted out into the lead. Ha! Kidding.**

A bit of a funny thing... When I was about 1 K from the end I was feeling rough and so I started trying to think positive thoughts. I started to send good, positive energy to Rae so that she might feel better, and then I thought, "Sorry love, I need it right now. I promise I'll send it to you at the end of the race." :-) ***

And the best part is the money that you all donated. I am very happy that we were able to raise a bit of money for the Ottawa Rotary Home which provides respite care to kids with disabilities.**** I reached 50 % of my fundraising goal, but it was short notice and every bit helps the kids. As well, nearly 50 new people now know about the ORH. Thank you so much for your help and support. It means a lot to me.

Now I'm off to a bubble bath.
xoxo



* OK OK, 25 isn't THAT hot, but it's still hot - and it's a humid, muggy heat.... just kidding it always makes me laugh when people talk about the cold in Ottawa "well, it's a damp cold, goes right to your bones" as if that makes it far more heroic that we bear it. :-)

** Really Kim? You were kidding? I totally believed you.

*** So now, as promised, I'm sending tons and tons of good thoughts and energy to Rae, extra even, that she will feel tip top very soon.

****To make a pledge, click here and let me know by email so we can count it in the tally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home