
I'm almost finished the 3rd book in the
self-imposed chick-lit reading regime.
Continuity Girl
by Leah McLaren is good, funny, smart writing, but could stand to be about half as long. She has some witty lines, and the way Meredith and her best friend Mish talk reminds me perfectly of the way my friends and I talk. No complaints there. It's just that about half-way through I was like, "Alright already, can we get on with this? I just want to know how this ends," and almost felt like putting the book down, which I rarely, rarely do. The reason I didn't was the above-mentioned strengths. Every now and then Leah McLaren hits something
right on the head - a phrase, a sentiment, something that makes it worthwhile to stick around. Around 3/4's of the way it picked up again, and I am really enjoying it, but it did almost lose me for a few days in the middle.
Oh, and I really love the cover. That too helped me not toss it into the re-runs pile when I was getting frustrated with it... :-)
I think after this I'll take a break from the regime and pick up a loaner from WB which I'll tell you about shortly, but in the meantime I am looking forward to getting back to CG just now.
3 Comments:
I find McLaren's columns in the Globe and Mail to be fairly hit-or-miss as well - sometimes she's quite insightful on social interactions, but others it seems like a whole lot of "I like sweaters."
Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»
Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»
Post a Comment
<< Home