Why I Am Poor.
In light of my voluntary car-free status, I decided to take the bus home (frugal option) rather than take a taxi home (fast, comfortable option) today. Here's how that frugal option worked out for me:
Total cost of taking the bus: $16.90
Total cost of would-be cab ride: $16.00 plus tip.
On the other hand, let's reframe. (I like that word. So much friendlier than rationalize or justify, don't you think?) We could also title this post...
Instead of the $16 + cab ride, which, yes, would have been more comfortable, more expedient, much drier, and would not have made me want to vomit, I got an enjoyable afternoon spent surrounded by books, a chai latte and ginger cookie, an hour of transport across this fair city, and a lifetime of pleasure from the classic work of fiction purchased. Not to mention the good green-karma earned by taking public transport rather than a single-passenger-emissions-spewer (that's what I tell myself when I regret my voluntary car-free status). Plus, the endless entertainment offered by spending an hour on the bus - like, for example, the crusty old man behind me who saw some people who were down-and-out on their luck and loudly commented, "But they still find money to drink, don't they!", whereupon I shot a mildly disdainful look his way, whereupon he stated even more loudly (likely for my benefit) "Tabernac! If I ever found myself in that situation I'd put a bullet in my head, I swear to god!" Whereupon I will let you imagine for yourself the charitable thoughts I harboured in my head for him ...
And so...
Total cost of taking the bus: $16.90.
Total time of bus ride: 1 hour, plus 15 minutes walk in rain from nearest bus stop to home.
An afternoon with books, chai latte, and a scenic tour of Ottawa from one end of city to the other with free in-flight entertainment... Priceless.
Too bad about that vomit feeling. But... pain is temporary, glory is forever.

- Bus ticket... $4.oo*
- Chai latte and ginger cookie purchased in order to get change for the bus (because I forgot that I had run out of bus tickets... $5.45
- Book purchased as a result of having no reading material while consuming chai latte and ginger cookie... $7.45
Total cost of taking the bus: $16.90
Total cost of would-be cab ride: $16.00 plus tip.
On the other hand, let's reframe. (I like that word. So much friendlier than rationalize or justify, don't you think?) We could also title this post...
How I Get Good Value From My Pauper Dollar
Instead of the $16 + cab ride, which, yes, would have been more comfortable, more expedient, much drier, and would not have made me want to vomit, I got an enjoyable afternoon spent surrounded by books, a chai latte and ginger cookie, an hour of transport across this fair city, and a lifetime of pleasure from the classic work of fiction purchased. Not to mention the good green-karma earned by taking public transport rather than a single-passenger-emissions-spewer (that's what I tell myself when I regret my voluntary car-free status). Plus, the endless entertainment offered by spending an hour on the bus - like, for example, the crusty old man behind me who saw some people who were down-and-out on their luck and loudly commented, "But they still find money to drink, don't they!", whereupon I shot a mildly disdainful look his way, whereupon he stated even more loudly (likely for my benefit) "Tabernac! If I ever found myself in that situation I'd put a bullet in my head, I swear to god!" Whereupon I will let you imagine for yourself the charitable thoughts I harboured in my head for him ...
And so...
Total cost of taking the bus: $16.90.
Total time of bus ride: 1 hour, plus 15 minutes walk in rain from nearest bus stop to home.
An afternoon with books, chai latte, and a scenic tour of Ottawa from one end of city to the other with free in-flight entertainment... Priceless.
Too bad about that vomit feeling. But... pain is temporary, glory is forever.
3 Comments:
Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»
Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»
Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»
Post a Comment
<< Home