Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Water, Water Everywhere...

... and nary a drop to drink.

I was in Chapters today, when I cleverly hatched my latest reading plan.

Wait, wait - lower that scolding finger, unfurrow your brow! I had a gift certificate. And, despite the charges by some bringers-home-of-bacon with the initials of Kraft Dinner, I do not sneak out and purchase gift cards and then later spend them saying "No, no, I had a gift card!" so bestill your accusatory mind! :-)

So anyways, circumstances accidentally put me nearby a Chapters store today. After making a few purchases* with my gift card, I decided to catch a bus home. I was therefore obliged to purchase a chai latte (and maybe an accompanying ginger cookie) in order to have change for the bus. As I made my purchase, one of the comfy armchairs by the fire came free (it was raining, and some would whisper snowing, here today), so I was forced to take advantage of this rare and fortuitous circumstance. I sat down and realized that as one is not permitted to bring unpurchased merchandise into the cafe section of the store, I had a chai latte in my hand, a comfy armchair by the fire, I was surrounded by bajillions of books, and yet had nothing to read.

I know.

Hence, the hatching of my latest, most burr-illiant reading scheme. Right behind me was located a rack of the tiny cute little bargain hardcovers of classics, cheaply** priced at $7.99. I have always avoided these, as they are annoyingly sized to fit on the bookshelf. Besides that, I can usually find the classics for far cheaper than this ($2-3). But then the most lovely thing occurred to me. The reason I happened to be stuck for reading material is because I didn't have a book with me, right? Aaand the reason I didn't have a book with me, is because who wants to lug around a big heavy tome every time you leave the house, on the off chance that you get stuck waiting somewhere, or decide to take the bus somewhere, or stop for chai latte alone? Not I. However, what if you had a small, portable, convenient little classic to keep in your bag at all times for just such an emergency? Huh? Huh? Yeah baby! So, a little copy of The Wind in the Willows was purchased, with Nicholas Nickleby next in line, and I shall never be bookless when venturing out in the great wide world again! (I'll give you a moment to sit quietly in awe.)



* (DVD - An Affair to Remember with Carey Grant for only $12! Eeee!)

**Cheap - snort! I remember when you could buy a whole, entire, real book for $8.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

5/17/2006 3:19 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

5/17/2006 5:08 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home