Thursday, March 02, 2006

Pathology

I, dear internet, would like to report to you that I have, in the past week, passed by used bookstores (good ones) four out of five times, and did not go in. That's right, I passed by, close enough to touch them. And did not. go in. And yes, insightful internet, your superior deducting abilities do not fail you - by not going in, that means, I did not buy a book.

I know.

You may remember, my little etherworld, the incident in January. Yes, that one. I was walking along my street, on the way to the bike shop, which leads me to pass by my favorite used book store in alllll the world, Arlington Books. I was still two blocks away, when the thought came into my head "Oh, I shall doth poppeth into yonder Arlington Bookshoppe on my way thither." This was an evil thought, dear cyberlink, because as you know, I have enough books in my house that I can build furniture out of them. I had just returned from two months of travelling, rendering me poor, and as well had brought back 2 more books from Peru. And, yes, oh wise internet, I had just recieved a new bounty of books from St. Nick and friends, only days prior. And so what did I do with that evil thought? First I said to meself, "Nein, fair Kim, you just [insert above reasons not to buy books, here]. Thou shalt not goest to the used book store." And then, I instantly broke into a jog and ran - yes, ran - to the Arlington Book Store. I will not mention the sordid events that partook within said shop, but let's just say that if you averaged them out, they only came to $4 each.

And now, all-knowing-web, you understand what a feat of purity of heart and strength of will this truly has been. What's that? Four you say? What happened to the fifth you ask? Well, I wasn't going to mention it, but you won't tell another soul now, will you. Well, I ask you, purveyor of cyber-knowledge, when a girl walks (accidentally) into her second favorite used book store in town, and notices - there - on the shelf, singing her name, is a book for which she, in more bountiful days, had searched for tirelessly, never giving up hope that it would be found in decent condition for a fair price, what is a girl to do? So she accimidentally bought the book for an obscenely low price, and accimidentally left it sitting on top of the dishwasher in full view of the fearless and wise budget-watcher of the household (fawbwoth).

But don't worry, frugal interweb, my weakness did not go unaddressed. In his firm, yet kind way, fawbwoth in his wisdom, informed me that for each book I purchase, he would cut off my access to one room of the house. In his infinite wisdom, the first room he chose, was an important room. So, if you see me at Tim Horton's this week, wave, for I am just popping in to use their facilities. Anyone know where I can get a shower?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home