Hepburn Heaven
I set out at dusk to get the movies and some food. First I went to Blockbuster. Have you been there lately? I haven't. Due to my incredible inability to be responsible about libraries and video stores, I cut myself off long ago. I now go into video stores only when accompanied by a responsible adult who will use their card and return the movie on time like a grown-up. (Incidentally, I had a dream last night that I used the public library for the first time in a year or so. I didn't stay asleep long enough to see how that turned out. It probably ended in financial ruin for someone.) Anyways, I couldn't believe the state of Blockbuster. It is filled with video games and movies to buy, which has definitely cut into the space they have for regular rental movies. They had neither film. I was so surprised. They no longer even have a classics section. (Though they now have a section called 'Alternative Lifestyles.' What kind of name is that.)
Anyways, to make a long story short (hah! ya right.), I went to four video stores, finally meeting success at Glebe Video. I'd link to it, but they don't have a website, interact, or even a computer there. Que retro. I'll show you the card they gave me for my membership - that baby will take you back! It may be the best v-store ever, as it focuses on festival films, foreign films, and classics. How perfect is THAT. Except that they only do one night rentals.
My unexpected scavenger hunt led to the hour growing late, and
Anyways, eventually I got home, just in time to watch Amazing Race (Buh-byyye mom and daughter! You need to learn how to use a m-a-p!), and then I started the festival chez moi. It was awesome! Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is my new favorite film. I completely enjoyed it. The Philadelphia Story was great as well. In one night I hung out with Katherine Hepburn (twice), Spencer Tracey, Sidney Poitier, Carey Grant, and Jimmy Stewart. Nice crowd, that.
This has totally lit a classic movie urge in me, and I think I will continue my little film festival tradition. As soon as my house is clean enough, I'll totally invite you over for the next one! :-) I have a hanging to see some Audrey Hepburn and also An Affair to Remember. Plus I own Gone With the Wind but have never watched it. (Loved the book!)
PS. Someday, when I retire, I'm going to own a big old-fashioned movie theatre with a red velvet curtain, like the Bytowne or Mayfair, or the Royal Theatre in Innisfail in which my great-grandcousin handpainted each square of the tin ceiling. We will serve real popcorn with real butter, and play art-house, independent, foreign, and classic films, and documentaries. Every Friday afternoon we'll have a play-hooky special of a classic double-bill. Every year I'll throw all kinds of film festivals - outdoor, documentary, human rights, classics, international, etc etc. There will be a cozy coffee shop out front with couches and a fireplace and awesome desserts and fairtrade coffee, tea, and chai latte, that also sells new and used books and music. Maybe we'll have poetry readings! And live music! And little theatre productions - but only controversial, cutting-edge productions. It will be a CBC nerd HEAVEN. HEAVEN, I tell you! I'm getting giddy just thinking about it... *Sigh*
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
"Stanley Kramer [director] stated later that the principal [cast members] believed so strongly in the premise that they agreed to act in the project even before seeing the script. Spencer Tracy was dying and insurance companies refused to cover him; Kramer and Hepburn put their salaries in escrow so that if he died filming could be completed with another actor. The filming schedule was altered to accommodate Tracy's failing health."
"The film was also memorable for being the last on-screen pairing of Tracy and Hepburn (Tracy died seventeen days after the shooting ended). In Tracy's final speech of the film, Hepburn's tears were real—they both knew that this would be the last line of his last film, that he hadn't much longer to live. Hepburn never saw the completed film. She said the memories of Tracy were too painful."
2 Comments:
That KICKS ass!!!!! Audrey Hepburn is my life-long girl-crush. Her, and Judy Garland. You know that amazing make-up artist who died a few years ago, he used to turn famous people into other famous people (odd) - he made Martha Stewart look like Bette Davis or Rita Hayworth (Oh! Rita! Another girl-crush)? Well, when I die (after setting the record for longest-living woman ever) I am going to hook up with him in heaven and make him turn me into Audrey Hepburn for a day,or a week. Because I think that's what heaven is like. People do shit for you that you always wanted but could never do as a human. My mom told me that heaven is whatever you wnat it to be and I wanna be Audrey Hepburn for a day. Or a week.
ps. I'll be over momentarily (in Kim-time) to see B at T's.
Oh and usher? Dude - YOU can sell popcorn. And I won't let just ANYBODY sell popcorn. Only smart people. Unless you wanna usher and try to catch people making out in the theatre. Although maybe we'll allow making out. But only if they're hot.
Post a Comment
<< Home