Wednesday, March 01, 2006

FILM: Beautiful... Charming... Whimsical


I saw "Eve and the Firehorse" on Monday night. It was a beautiful film. I laughed out loud many times, and it made my heart ache a little too.

It is about a nine-year old who creates her own idea of religion by blending the Buddhism she has been raised in, with the Catholicism that her and her sister find when 2 evangelists come to their door and leave a beautiful leather-bound book about Jesus. But mostly it's just about being a kid and trying to figure out how the world works.

It is the most charming movie I have seen for a long time. Eve is a creative, spirited girl, and her imaginings are mixed right in with mundane events of the film, creating little moments that make your eyebrows lift. Eve has an outlook on life that lifts your spirits until her little-girl-energy is quashed by life and other kids. I loved this movie - it was sweet and funny and a little bit sad. It won the World Cinema Special Jury Prize for Dramatic Film at the Sundance Film Festival in January.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

haha just searchin for eve and the firehorse, and i got ure site ! thought i would drop a hi.

3/21/2006 1:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home