Cubanismo was Bellisimo
Which brings me to my reason for writing, the show I attended on Sunday night. Thanks to the amazing WB and his totally
"Drawing it's membership from an extensive pool of talented musicians, this “Mambo King” ensemble has an uncanny ability to marry Latin rhythms to a variety of musical styles, from New Orleans jazz and rhythm and blues to reggae, successfully blending the old with the new and fusing sounds from around the globe into a danceable musical form that is uniquely their own." (OJF)
They blew me away from the first note. There are fifteen of them on stage. They are led by horns, plus there is a horn section of 4 more off to the side. There is also a bass player, guitar, keyboard, 3 percussion, two singers, and more two horn/singers. The sound is big. It fills you up. The oldest member is one of the singers, and he holds his mic in one hand and his cane in the other. Their voices are so clear - magic - they go right into you. The two old guys in Cubanismo have a singing style similar to Buena Vista Social Club's Compay Segundo and Ibrihim Ferrer. There was a piece composed by the alto sax player, in which each of the three drummers (snare, bongos, djembes, I believe) soloed. It was awesome. I felt like my insides were jumping and the drummers had control of my stomach muscles. Oh and my feet. And hands. And all the rest of me.
It was a stellar evening, and I was exhausted at the end of the evening. Wish you coulda been there.
2 Comments:
did alia give you the autographed photo of brent i got for you guys?
Totally! It was on the wall beside my desk the whole time I was at O! People used to ask me all the time 'who's that dude?' and I would regale them with stories of our romance -- oh wait - I mean my stalking of him. Funny, remember when you posted the meme which was three random pictures of your life? I remember thinking that one of mine would be a pic of my autographed Brent photo! :) :)
Post a Comment
<< Home