CBC Poetry Face-Off
I went to the CBC 5th Annual Poetry Face-Off this evening. I loved it. Until this year I hadn't really seen much (any??) spoken word or performance poetry live. I have discovered that I really, really love it. I have never been a huge poetry fan - I have a few poems which I really love, and I even own ...mmm.... four books of poetry I believe, but for the most part I didn't go wild over poetry in general. But now...
Hearing it out loud changes everything. I'm in love with it. Tonight was lovely.
I like Emily Dickinson. She was the first book of poetry I've ever bought. I bought a skinny volume of Dover Thrift Edition of Emily Dickinson. The other book I own is called Dream Work, by Mary Oliver. I bought it for one poem, called The Journey which resonated at the time. I also bought a book called Apology for Absense by a man named John Newlove, after I heard him reading some of his poems on CBC. All in all, my poetry world was pretty tame, pretty drab.
But now, I am definitely more interested in poetry and I think I'll try to check out some more events.
Oh! And I met Alan Neal!! Yay! :-)
Hearing it out loud changes everything. I'm in love with it. Tonight was lovely.
I like Emily Dickinson. She was the first book of poetry I've ever bought. I bought a skinny volume of Dover Thrift Edition of Emily Dickinson. The other book I own is called Dream Work, by Mary Oliver. I bought it for one poem, called The Journey which resonated at the time. I also bought a book called Apology for Absense by a man named John Newlove, after I heard him reading some of his poems on CBC. All in all, my poetry world was pretty tame, pretty drab.
But now, I am definitely more interested in poetry and I think I'll try to check out some more events.
Oh! And I met Alan Neal!! Yay! :-)
3 Comments:
i cant believe you worship the cbc so much!! it's hilarious. i should take you on a tour one day and you can meet all these people in person, ok? let me know when is good for you :) email me :)
I have one thing to say. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
:-)
lol - you can BOTH come; how about that? We'll just muzzle Kim, and No - you can't bring Hawaiian Tropic.
Post a Comment
<< Home