Strong Words for Strong Images: Danish Cartoon Controversy
Warning: this post is rated PG.
I'm all for free-speech, but there is a line between satire and racism. Depicting the Prophet Mohamed (pbuh) as a terrorist is not only blasphemous, but also racist, ignorant, and despicable. I doubt this cartoon would have passed Canada's anti-hate laws. With free speech comes responsibility - one example I heard sums it this way: 'Sure, it's legal to yell "Fire" in a crowded movie theatre, but it is incredibly irresponsible.' Imagine if someone published a cartoon depicting Jesus or the Pope masturbating or having wierd sex. Imagine the outrage. And this in spite of the fact that we live in a largely secular society (unlike most Muslim societies, which are religious societies). And think about how provocative and outraging it would be to publish an anti-semetic cartoon to protest the fact that the Israeli gov't kills Palestinians every day. There are other ways to make your point, without being so profoundly offensive. And as this Toronto Star article suggests, crying "free speech" is to hide behind a double standard that exists, where it's OK to slag Muslims and depict them as terrorists. The most controversial cartoon has nothing to “say freely” – it’s just a drawing of M’s head with a bomb and lit fuse as a turban. It is purely a defamatory drawing, not a political commentary. Considering how seriously Muslims take mention of the prophet, it is either incredibly ignorant, or knowingly inciting to publish such a derogatory image of him.
The editor of the Danish paper that published the cartoons had this to say about the fact that the paper would not apologize: "If we were to [apologize], we'd be letting down generations who have fought for freedom of speech." Yes sir, but what about the generations who have fought against racism, harrassment, and intolerance?
The reaction to this controversy did not just burst out of the blue. Muslim leaders have been protesting this through conventional diplomatic channels (see the Star article for more details) for nearly four months with no resulting apology or action. I am not saying that the latest reaction of burning embassies and calling for the beheading of Danes is appropriate - it is most certainly not. However it is important to look beyond these sensationalist media images and understand the root of the issue and the reasons for the outrage, and not simply focus on the sensational. If this issue had been addressed properly four months ago, one more damaging crisis between cultures and religions could have been avoided.
Compounding the issue is the reprinting by a number of other European papers. I don't see what valid criticism or good cause the cartoonist was attempting to put forward with this cartoon. All I see is damaging, hurtful stereotypes being propagated, with an attempt to mask it behind a cry of free speech, and therefore I think that the other European papers who reprinted the cartoon in a show of "solidarity for free speech" committed an act that was misguided at best.
Free speech and criticism is essential to democracy. So is a stand against racism and intolerance.
The Klu Klux Klan has the right to free speech, but responsible newspapers are not going to help them spread their message. To me, that's what it all boils down to. This quote from Cair-Can (Canadian Council on American-Islamic Relations) says it well: "The purpose of freedom of expression is to create healthier, stronger and more diverse societies, and not to gratuitously insult and revile the deeply held beliefs of others."
My 2 cents. Feel free to comment below.
3 Comments:
Hey Kim!
That was a really well worded article. Maybe you should think about writing a letter to the editor type thing to the citizen. I am sure alot of people would appreciate it.
Thanks anonymous! Good idea. I will.
I submitted it. We shall see.......
Post a Comment
<< Home