Friday, February 03, 2006

FILM: The Glory Days Are Over

I used up the last free pass on my Mayfair membership, so it's back to paying for films again...
This week I was lucky enough to take in four more films that I was really looking forward to. I saw Capote, Paradise Now, North Country, and Protocols of Zion.

Capote was excellent. I loved it. I'm so glad I had read In Cold Blood before I saw the movie. I really loved the film, but I'm not sure how it would have been had I not read the book first. Capote is a fascinating guy, and the film really did a good job of giving the reader insight into the author and the events of the time. Though I suspect it wouldn't have the same impact if you hadn't read the book (?). (Truman Capote wrote In Cold Blood, Capote is the movie about Truman Capote and his quirks and obsessions while he was writing the book.) See my brief previous post about the book etc here. Oh, and it was filmed in Manitoba...

Paradise Now was also excellent. It is a Palestinian film about 2 young guys and the day before and of their suicide bombing mission, shot mostly in Nablus in the West Bank (resulting in great shots of place). The dialoque in this film is what really makes it. It was a beautiful insight into life as a Palestinian. The film doesn't condone suicide bombing but it does give the outsider some insight as to the forces that lead to it.

The Protocols of Zion is a documentary by a Jewish-American man who explores the myths of a Jewish conspiracy, and also examines anti-semitism. It was really good and worth seeing. Really interesting to have seen this and PN close together. The filmmaker does a pretty good job of showing a variety of sides to the story - Christian fundamentalism, Islamic fundamentalism, anti-semitism from many walks of life and how ridiculous the conclusions are of people who are blinded by these "forces". The only thing he didn't really get into much is the prejudices of his Jewish friends. They come up in the film, but he doesn't rigourously question them about their assumptions the way he challenges the non-Jewish people in the film.

While watching this film I decided two things. I have been raised in Canada, which means I have been raised in the culture of Christianity. I have been immersed in the dominant culture, which in Canada, is shaped by Christianity. I have absorbed largely Christian values and traditions. Though I am not a religious person, I have been shaped by the dominant culture of my environment. Do you get what I'm saying? I am assuming that you understand that I am distinguishing between the religion of Christianity, and the culture of Christianity. If I had been raised in a Muslim culture, or a Jewish culture, even if I was not religious at all, it still affects cultural things like your work week (in Israel (Jewish culture) the weekend is Friday and Saturday, in Bangladesh (Muslim culture) the weekend is Friday for example), the way you eat, the predominant values of the society, assumptions about what is polite vs impolite, and a million other far more important things. Anyways, I realized while watching this film that I need to explore the ways in which this christian culture has shaped me. It's only by understanding and challenging our assumptions that we can ensure that we are not being controlled by prejudice. This film made me want to read more about each of these three religions...

All in all, a really good film and very worth seeing.

North Country was amazing. I have seen many reviews since, criticizing a number of aspects of the film, but while I was watching it I was blown away. Charlize Theoron and Frances McDormond are amazing actresses (I loved McDormand in Fargo, and have liked her ever since, but she deserves the Best Supporting Actress for this film, hands down.) I couldn't believe this was based on a true story. I really liked the 'trial and flashback' format of the film as well - it was quite powerful.

I was constantly struck while watching this film by how lucky I am. While Josie's parents were telling her to go back to an abusive marriage so she wouldn't embarrass them (in the 80's) my parents were telling me things like "Wouldn't playing the game be more fun than being a cheerleader?" and "Wouldn't flying the plane be more interesting than being a stewardess?" and that I could be anything I wanted. As a kid in the eighties, I'm not sure how many dads were talking this way to their daughters, and how many moms were encouraging their daughters to play sports with the boys at recess instead of giggling in the corner with the girls. This had big impact on my 11 year old self.

The other thing that really affected me was thinking about how different my life would have been if I had been born even ten years earlier. Thanks to people like Josie Aimes, I have never really had to deal with acute sexual harrassment. The women in the mine experienced physical attacks, groping, and very gross pranks (I almost threw up in one scene) that I won't mention to spoil it for you. Her fight cost her her health, but changed things forever for those who followed her. Props to her.

This weekend my goal is to watch Ray on DVD. I might try to catch Transamerica at the Bytowne, and Harry Potter is playing at the cheap theatre this week. Mix in lots of skiing and some live music (maybe at the Black Sheep Inn in Wakefield after skiing), some episodes of 24, and you have the recipe for a perfect weekend...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home