Monday, January 30, 2006

That's what I meant to say!

So often when I'm reading Doppelganger's blog I find myself thinking that what she has written is so me that I could have written it myself - assuming I was far better at turning tricks with words, like she is. (She, like my cousin Anita, has this way of turning a phrase that makes you wish you were the one who said it. As a kid, I adopted Anitaisms all the time to impress my friends with my wit and worldliness.) Anyways, this passage was so me that I had to show it to you...

Like many of you, I'm sure, I have this stubborn streak about wanting to be impervious to some aspects of our popular culture. I'll arbitrarily fix on some thing or person that the media is in a dither over and steadfastly choose to remain ignorant about it, no matter how many opportunities for watercooler chatter may pass me by as a result. And I'm a person who loves me some watercooler chatter.

Past examples have included
Britney Spears, whose face I could proudly not have picked out of a line-up for some years. Ms. Spears's celebrity, alas, proved to be an unstoppable force that mowed down the immoveable object of my ignorance. Or something like that. But I tried, goddammit, I tried.

Likewise the
Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky scandal. ...

(Link here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home