FILM: Movie Obsession Indulged
As I mentioned, last Saturday I movie-geeked out and went to 3 consecutive films in one day (and paid a total of $6...). It was a delicious day and I felt so indulgent. I love the Bytowne and Mayfair because they are old, historic theatres, so you have tons of leg room, beautiful surroundings, big old red velour seats (so comfy), popcorn with real butter, and often it's not full, so the seats beside you are empty (important when you are a huge fidgeter like me). Oh, and they're cheaper!
#1 - First I saw Ballet Russes. (Nice article about it here.)
It is a documentary basically about the birth of modern ballet with the Ballet Russes compan(i
es) in the 1930's. They use archival footage as well as interviews with the dancers in 2000. The dancers are in their 70's, 80's, and 90's now, and many have died since the filming of the documentary. I was so touched by the images of some of these former prima ballerinas, dancing even now in their eighties. Their fingers crooked with arthritis, sometimes limping with a bad hip, they still moved like swans and seemed to have no bones in their arms when they gestured. Some of them still do the barre every single day. I was enchanted by this film.
The Ballet Russes boasts some of the most famous artists (dance and other) of the early 20th century. Dali, Picasso and Matisse designed sets and costumes, and choreographers like Njinski, Ballanchine, and Massine were choreographers and artistic directors of the companies. They worked with Stravinsky and his orchestra. Prima ballerinas like Markova, Danjilova, and many others. I love the way the entire artistry of dance was appreciated in that time - as in costumes, set, and music being as noticed as the dance. One of the ballet masters/artistic directors invented the concept of staging ballets to the symphonies of the masters (Tchaikovsky, etc), changing ballet forever. The Ballet Russes brought professional ballet to the US, and my favorite quote (that made me giggle) was an old principal dancer who said, "We were the covered wagon of ballet, we were pioneers." (referring to how they were the first pro company, bringing the ballet to cities and small towns all over the USA. None of this I knew, despite doing my share of dance history classes in university.
I was so inspired by these ballerinas who have kept dancing into their eighties, and maybe I'll even try to pour my sad self back into a leotard and take class again once I'm not so brokeriffic...
#2 - Second I saw Good Night and Good Luck. I really enjoyed this film, for its current relevance, and also for its visual-ness and cinematography. I really think this film needs to be seen on the big screen to be fully appreciated. It is all shot in black and white, and is spectacular in that way. It was like
watching a two hour, moving Karsh portrait (check him out here). The gleaming white dress shirts of the news men, the shadowy faces, the dark background with ribbons of cigarette smoke curling around mesmerized me. The period details were so crisp and perfect that it was hard to believe it was shot in 2005. I just loved looking at this movie!
I also loved the acting (or maybe the directing?) because so much of it felt really candid, almost improv. The newsroom scenes where they are talking about stories just seemed so convincingly newsroomy... :-)
Oh - and the music in this film? Dreamy.
The other thing I loved about this movie was its parallels to today. The quote at the end about how television could be a vehicle to either stun, divert, and insulate the masses, or to enlighten, educate, and inform resonated with me. As well, it was interesting to see some parallels between the "communist witchhunt" of McCarthy and the Arab/Muslim witchhunt of the Bush administration. Also, the "evidence in a sealed envelope for national security purposes" communist hearings reminded me of the "detained without being charged or shown the evidence" process of Canadian Security Certificates.

#3 - The third film I saw was A History of Violence. This was really, really well done. Directed by Canadian, David Cronenberg, it was ... vivid. Let's just say that. Vivid. The details in this film were really what made it for me. That, and amazing acting by the dad, mom, and oldest son. This movie really controlled me for 90 minutes. I dreaded the next moment, most of the way through. It was really good. This was my first Cronenberg, and I was impressed.
Anyways, I'll never be a movie reviewer, since the only thing I can ever think of to say is "i really really liked it, cuz... well, it was durn gud." My dream career as a reviewer is doomed.
#1 - First I saw Ballet Russes. (Nice article about it here.)
It is a documentary basically about the birth of modern ballet with the Ballet Russes compan(i
The Ballet Russes boasts some of the most famous artists (dance and other) of the early 20th century. Dali, Picasso and Matisse designed sets and costumes, and choreographers like Njinski, Ballanchine, and Massine were choreographers and artistic directors of the companies. They worked with Stravinsky and his orchestra. Prima ballerinas like Markova, Danjilova, and many others. I love the way the entire artistry of dance was appreciated in that time - as in costumes, set, and music being as noticed as the dance. One of the ballet masters/artistic directors invented the concept of staging ballets to the symphonies of the masters (Tchaikovsky, etc), changing ballet forever. The Ballet Russes brought professional ballet to the US, and my favorite quote (that made me giggle) was an old principal dancer who said, "We were the covered wagon of ballet, we were pioneers." (referring to how they were the first pro company, bringing the ballet to cities and small towns all over the USA. None of this I knew, despite doing my share of dance history classes in university.
I was so inspired by these ballerinas who have kept dancing into their eighties, and maybe I'll even try to pour my sad self back into a leotard and take class again once I'm not so brokeriffic...
#2 - Second I saw Good Night and Good Luck. I really enjoyed this film, for its current relevance, and also for its visual-ness and cinematography. I really think this film needs to be seen on the big screen to be fully appreciated. It is all shot in black and white, and is spectacular in that way. It was like
I also loved the acting (or maybe the directing?) because so much of it felt really candid, almost improv. The newsroom scenes where they are talking about stories just seemed so convincingly newsroomy... :-)
Oh - and the music in this film? Dreamy.
The other thing I loved about this movie was its parallels to today. The quote at the end about how television could be a vehicle to either stun, divert, and insulate the masses, or to enlighten, educate, and inform resonated with me. As well, it was interesting to see some parallels between the "communist witchhunt" of McCarthy and the Arab/Muslim witchhunt of the Bush administration. Also, the "evidence in a sealed envelope for national security purposes" communist hearings reminded me of the "detained without being charged or shown the evidence" process of Canadian Security Certificates.
#3 - The third film I saw was A History of Violence. This was really, really well done. Directed by Canadian, David Cronenberg, it was ... vivid. Let's just say that. Vivid. The details in this film were really what made it for me. That, and amazing acting by the dad, mom, and oldest son. This movie really controlled me for 90 minutes. I dreaded the next moment, most of the way through. It was really good. This was my first Cronenberg, and I was impressed.
Anyways, I'll never be a movie reviewer, since the only thing I can ever think of to say is "i really really liked it, cuz... well, it was durn gud." My dream career as a reviewer is doomed.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home