...and not a single shot was fired...
Didja vote yet? Why are you still here? Go! Oh you did? Lovely.
Alright. So here' s how I see it. (Stop reading now if you don't like political posts... )
To me, the most critical thing is that no party who wishes to take away the rights of human beings should be elected. The Liberals lied and stole. That is bad. They don't deserve another term. But as it's less than likely that the NDP are going to form the next government, that would - by elimination - leave the Conservatives. The thought makes me shudder. The Conservatives oppose a busload of things that I find mildly esssential, critical and non-negotiable - such as gay rights, a woman's right to choose, not bombing Iraqi children, non-racist immigration policies, decent funding for public broadcasting, kyoto, and a whole shwack of other stuff...
I realise that the Liberals have been less than efficient at running a government. I realise that some would consider the Conservatives to be more fiscally competent. Fine. The thing that I cannot accept is that anyone with a modicum of compassion could consider the history of this reform/alliance-based party, and their social policies, and not at least be slightly concerned. Myself, I'm deathly afraid.
Canadians have a history of voting to punish - the Progressive Conservative party of yore was nearly decimated after their rein in the eighties, the Harris Tories in Ontario - same thing. Examples are aplenty. However this time we can't afford to punish the Liberals too thoroughly without creating a Tory situation that is unbearable. Canada has a reputation in the world of being a peaceful, moderate, progressive-thinking country. Canada is largely respected among other countries and as I have witnessed through my travels, among the peoples of other countries. Electing Stephen Harper as Prime Minister would not only undermine at best - and negate at worst - all of that, but would also put Canada more in line with the US, and the world's opinions of it. Personally I do not want to be associated with those ideas.
The worst thing I can imagine in this situation, is a Conservative majority.
Anyways, off I go to vote and hope for the best. I'll be up late tonight.
The most important thing though, whatever you believe - and even if you don't believe that any of the parties represents you, is that everyone votes.
"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote." ~George Jean Nathan
My blog, my 2 cents. Feel free to discuss, just click on comments. And don't hate me because I'm a lefty...
xoxo
Alright. So here' s how I see it. (Stop reading now if you don't like political posts... )
To me, the most critical thing is that no party who wishes to take away the rights of human beings should be elected. The Liberals lied and stole. That is bad. They don't deserve another term. But as it's less than likely that the NDP are going to form the next government, that would - by elimination - leave the Conservatives. The thought makes me shudder. The Conservatives oppose a busload of things that I find mildly esssential, critical and non-negotiable - such as gay rights, a woman's right to choose, not bombing Iraqi children, non-racist immigration policies, decent funding for public broadcasting, kyoto, and a whole shwack of other stuff...
I realise that the Liberals have been less than efficient at running a government. I realise that some would consider the Conservatives to be more fiscally competent. Fine. The thing that I cannot accept is that anyone with a modicum of compassion could consider the history of this reform/alliance-based party, and their social policies, and not at least be slightly concerned. Myself, I'm deathly afraid.
Canadians have a history of voting to punish - the Progressive Conservative party of yore was nearly decimated after their rein in the eighties, the Harris Tories in Ontario - same thing. Examples are aplenty. However this time we can't afford to punish the Liberals too thoroughly without creating a Tory situation that is unbearable. Canada has a reputation in the world of being a peaceful, moderate, progressive-thinking country. Canada is largely respected among other countries and as I have witnessed through my travels, among the peoples of other countries. Electing Stephen Harper as Prime Minister would not only undermine at best - and negate at worst - all of that, but would also put Canada more in line with the US, and the world's opinions of it. Personally I do not want to be associated with those ideas.
The worst thing I can imagine in this situation, is a Conservative majority.
Anyways, off I go to vote and hope for the best. I'll be up late tonight.
The most important thing though, whatever you believe - and even if you don't believe that any of the parties represents you, is that everyone votes.
"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote." ~George Jean Nathan
My blog, my 2 cents. Feel free to discuss, just click on comments. And don't hate me because I'm a lefty...
xoxo
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home