Vegetarian Eats Guinea Pig
It´s not a headline from the National Enquirer... I tried Cuy al Horno (Roast Guinea Pig)...
Sunday night was the big night. A group of us went to the guinea pig restaurant, and the deed was done. Others came to watch the spectacle and paparazzi the event.
After nearly an hour and a half of anticipation, the guest of honor finally arrived, looking quite stunning on the platter. He was standing regally, legs sturdy, sporting a cheeky hat of tomato and greens, and some sort of red fruit in his mouth. He was roasted to perfection, almost a chocolate color.
A flurry of pictures was snapped of the moment of arrival, and then the star was whisked away to be further pampered (ie. chopped into pieces for consumption)...
He returned not moments later, ready to eat. More pics were snapped, and then they dived in. The two guys whose cuy it was took their first bites while everyone else held their breath. At first there was no reaction, just thoughtful chewing. A few suspenseful seconds later, the verdict. It´s quite good actually...
And so, after waiting a few minutes to ensure that Nick and Nick (the guinea pig eaters) didn´t keel over, I asked for my piece. After 2.5 years of no meat to speak of, you might as well break the meat-fast with a small furry rodent... I got a piece of what could have been a very tiny breast, and pulled the meat off the bone. I sniffed - it smelled a bit like my cat. Hm - not a good sign, but I trust Nick and Nick and knew they wouldn´t steer me wrong... after all, I´ve known them seven days now... Anyways, my first bite was a bit nervewracking - the texture felt odd, and the flavour is quite strong. But all in all, it really is quite good. It´s quite a dark meat, and I always like the dark meat on the turkey and chicken. (No, it doesn´t taste like chicken...)
And so, there you have it - I tasted the guinea pig (2 bites), and now I feel guilty for not having tasted the kangaroo. Though I couldn´t quite bring myself to eat the kangaroo mere hours after I had petted her and had her eating out of my hand (unlike some people I know - not to mention any names...cough, cough, Lisa, cough, cough) :-)
There you have it. The deed is done.
Am I glad I did it - yes. Will I do it again - no.
xoxox
Sunday night was the big night. A group of us went to the guinea pig restaurant, and the deed was done. Others came to watch the spectacle and paparazzi the event.
After nearly an hour and a half of anticipation, the guest of honor finally arrived, looking quite stunning on the platter. He was standing regally, legs sturdy, sporting a cheeky hat of tomato and greens, and some sort of red fruit in his mouth. He was roasted to perfection, almost a chocolate color.
A flurry of pictures was snapped of the moment of arrival, and then the star was whisked away to be further pampered (ie. chopped into pieces for consumption)...
He returned not moments later, ready to eat. More pics were snapped, and then they dived in. The two guys whose cuy it was took their first bites while everyone else held their breath. At first there was no reaction, just thoughtful chewing. A few suspenseful seconds later, the verdict. It´s quite good actually...
And so, after waiting a few minutes to ensure that Nick and Nick (the guinea pig eaters) didn´t keel over, I asked for my piece. After 2.5 years of no meat to speak of, you might as well break the meat-fast with a small furry rodent... I got a piece of what could have been a very tiny breast, and pulled the meat off the bone. I sniffed - it smelled a bit like my cat. Hm - not a good sign, but I trust Nick and Nick and knew they wouldn´t steer me wrong... after all, I´ve known them seven days now... Anyways, my first bite was a bit nervewracking - the texture felt odd, and the flavour is quite strong. But all in all, it really is quite good. It´s quite a dark meat, and I always like the dark meat on the turkey and chicken. (No, it doesn´t taste like chicken...)
And so, there you have it - I tasted the guinea pig (2 bites), and now I feel guilty for not having tasted the kangaroo. Though I couldn´t quite bring myself to eat the kangaroo mere hours after I had petted her and had her eating out of my hand (unlike some people I know - not to mention any names...cough, cough, Lisa, cough, cough) :-)
There you have it. The deed is done.
Am I glad I did it - yes. Will I do it again - no.
xoxox
1 Comments:
I can't believe you ate guinea pig LOL,
well bon appetit!! or should i say Buen apetito!
take care
love
alia
Post a Comment
<< Home