Transitions
I'm quite terrible at transitions. Not a big fan. I hate to leave Peru, I hate to leave the idea of travelling and everything that goes with it, I hate to lose the habit of Spanish first, I hate to unpack my backpack, I hate to take off my money belt, I hate to settle out of the challenge..... and on and on...
Australia was heavenly - relaxing and fun and beautiful. Dream. Peru was hard and rich and amazing, my Spanish improved by leaps and bounds and I fell back into being decent at travelling, I met amazing people, Peruvians and other travellers (Nick, Nick, Pauline, Michaela, Tom, Dave, Lauren, Rene, Ronny, Luz, Flora, etc...)
At the same time it is nice to be back in the "warm bath of security" as Andy puts it, nice to be home. It's been 2 months to the day since I left. I keep getting snapped back into my life with little mundane pleasures and annoyances that I forgot about. There is something profoundly comforting and steadying about seeing the book that you left still resting open to the page you left it on, a book that a week ago you didn't even remember that you were reading... Driving is fun, a wierd sensation... I made a wrong turn on the way to the airport... I'm basking in the familiar voices and rhythms of the CBC, I like seeing my cat sitting on top of the dishwasher, I am overwhelmed and exhausted by the news reports... I checked the schedule for films at the Bytowne already... I really like the snow and the temperature is great - just cold enough to feel a nip on the cheeks, and I need my scarf and mitts which is fun, and I can't wait for my first dinner of Indian food (paneer matar with naan - hopefully tonight). I'm not ready to jump all the way back into life yet so I will hide out here this evening and pretend I'm still not home yet... :-) Forgive me... :-)
Anyways, after something like 4 days near Toronto, I'm back in Ottawa today, opening piles (and piles and piles) of mail and getting used to being home.
Australia was heavenly - relaxing and fun and beautiful. Dream. Peru was hard and rich and amazing, my Spanish improved by leaps and bounds and I fell back into being decent at travelling, I met amazing people, Peruvians and other travellers (Nick, Nick, Pauline, Michaela, Tom, Dave, Lauren, Rene, Ronny, Luz, Flora, etc...)
At the same time it is nice to be back in the "warm bath of security" as Andy puts it, nice to be home. It's been 2 months to the day since I left. I keep getting snapped back into my life with little mundane pleasures and annoyances that I forgot about. There is something profoundly comforting and steadying about seeing the book that you left still resting open to the page you left it on, a book that a week ago you didn't even remember that you were reading... Driving is fun, a wierd sensation... I made a wrong turn on the way to the airport... I'm basking in the familiar voices and rhythms of the CBC, I like seeing my cat sitting on top of the dishwasher, I am overwhelmed and exhausted by the news reports... I checked the schedule for films at the Bytowne already... I really like the snow and the temperature is great - just cold enough to feel a nip on the cheeks, and I need my scarf and mitts which is fun, and I can't wait for my first dinner of Indian food (paneer matar with naan - hopefully tonight). I'm not ready to jump all the way back into life yet so I will hide out here this evening and pretend I'm still not home yet... :-) Forgive me... :-)
Anyways, after something like 4 days near Toronto, I'm back in Ottawa today, opening piles (and piles and piles) of mail and getting used to being home.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home