Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays
Edited and added to...
(Warning - Rant to follow!!!!!!!)
The past 2 Christmas's I seem to hear over and over the complaint that you can't say Merry Christmas any more. For heaven's sakes, of course you can. If I am speaking to someone who I know celebrates Christmas, I say Merry Christmas! If it's very close to Christmas, I might say Merry Christmas to everyone! If it's Hanukah that day or I happen know someone is celebrating Hanukah or Eid, I wish them Happy Hanukah or Eid! It's not difficult! If I'm speaking to a general audience who may be of various faiths, or if I'm not sure, I wish them happy holidays. It is not done to "not offend" anyone, it's done to include everyone. There is a big difference. (If someone has trouble with this, maybe they need to examine their intentions?)
If I was speaking to a room full of Smiths, Joneses, and Pyes, and I said "hello Jones family, welcome!" then I am obviously excluding the Smiths and Pyes. Duh! Perhaps it would be better to say, "welcome everyone!" so that all the families feel equally welcome. This is not rocket science... If you are having a holiday party in your company, you are having it for all your employees, no? Don't you want to include all your employees?? If so, then why does it bother you to speak more generally of "holidays"? At my work, which consists of people of many faiths, languages, & cultures, we have a holiday party in December, when most major faiths celebrate some sort of special day. At the party we might have a Christmas tree or gift exchange, and no one minds. We acknowledge and celebrate that it is a time of special festivals for most everyone. Everyone has a lovely time. This is probably because we make sure that we recognize the special occasions of our colleagues and friends when appropriate.
The implication by people who complain that they have to call their company party a "holiday party" or that everyone says "happy holidays" now, is that "political correctness" is robbing them of something (ie. Christmas). This is the wrong way of looking at it. The trend to recognize holidays other than Christmas is NOT about being politically correct. It is about including everyone who you share your daily activities with, rather than only some of them. I don't know how to say it more clearly. It's not about taking something away, it's about adding. No one is trying to rob you of Christmas - but now you get to also recognize other holidays as well - it's fun! This year I was so honored to be invited to Iftar (evening meal for breaking the fast during Ramadan) at my friend's house. It was so nice. Life is more fun and interesting and special this way.
Some people lately are becoming silly and vindictive about this issue. Most people will not be offended if you wish them a Merry Christmas, especially if you also remember to wish them a happy whatever when they are celebrating their festival. And I would not be a bit surprised if many of the people who wish you a merry Christmas do not even celebrate it themselves, and you didn't even realize it. This year I received 2 Merry Christmas e-cards from Muslim friends, and another from a Jewish friend. I truly hope I am as thoughtful.
With love,
Kim
(Warning - Rant to follow!!!!!!!)
The past 2 Christmas's I seem to hear over and over the complaint that you can't say Merry Christmas any more. For heaven's sakes, of course you can. If I am speaking to someone who I know celebrates Christmas, I say Merry Christmas! If it's very close to Christmas, I might say Merry Christmas to everyone! If it's Hanukah that day or I happen know someone is celebrating Hanukah or Eid, I wish them Happy Hanukah or Eid! It's not difficult! If I'm speaking to a general audience who may be of various faiths, or if I'm not sure, I wish them happy holidays. It is not done to "not offend" anyone, it's done to include everyone. There is a big difference. (If someone has trouble with this, maybe they need to examine their intentions?)
If I was speaking to a room full of Smiths, Joneses, and Pyes, and I said "hello Jones family, welcome!" then I am obviously excluding the Smiths and Pyes. Duh! Perhaps it would be better to say, "welcome everyone!" so that all the families feel equally welcome. This is not rocket science... If you are having a holiday party in your company, you are having it for all your employees, no? Don't you want to include all your employees?? If so, then why does it bother you to speak more generally of "holidays"? At my work, which consists of people of many faiths, languages, & cultures, we have a holiday party in December, when most major faiths celebrate some sort of special day. At the party we might have a Christmas tree or gift exchange, and no one minds. We acknowledge and celebrate that it is a time of special festivals for most everyone. Everyone has a lovely time. This is probably because we make sure that we recognize the special occasions of our colleagues and friends when appropriate.
The implication by people who complain that they have to call their company party a "holiday party" or that everyone says "happy holidays" now, is that "political correctness" is robbing them of something (ie. Christmas). This is the wrong way of looking at it. The trend to recognize holidays other than Christmas is NOT about being politically correct. It is about including everyone who you share your daily activities with, rather than only some of them. I don't know how to say it more clearly. It's not about taking something away, it's about adding. No one is trying to rob you of Christmas - but now you get to also recognize other holidays as well - it's fun! This year I was so honored to be invited to Iftar (evening meal for breaking the fast during Ramadan) at my friend's house. It was so nice. Life is more fun and interesting and special this way.
Some people lately are becoming silly and vindictive about this issue. Most people will not be offended if you wish them a Merry Christmas, especially if you also remember to wish them a happy whatever when they are celebrating their festival. And I would not be a bit surprised if many of the people who wish you a merry Christmas do not even celebrate it themselves, and you didn't even realize it. This year I received 2 Merry Christmas e-cards from Muslim friends, and another from a Jewish friend. I truly hope I am as thoughtful.
With love,
Kim
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home