Inca Cola
I just wrote a big long post and lost it all. How infuriating...
So I tried Inca Cola today. It is yellow and fizzy and tastes like bubblegum. It´s not bad actually, despite the bad reviews from my friends. I tried to order it one other time when we were on a big walk to visit some Inca Ruins, and when I said, ¨I´d like an Inca Cola please,¨ they all said, in unison, ¨Noooooooo!!!¨ so I opted for Fanta instead (yes, I drink Nazi coke. Look it up.) Well, today I didn´t have my bodyguards with me, so I ordered it, and I must say it tastes pretty good.
Apparently Inca Cola is a bit of a family tradition in Perú (said my Inca Trail guide, Rony). Whenever he has a nice dinner with his family, they always drink Inca Cola, for as long as he can remember. For the longest time Coca Cola couldn´t compete with Inca Cola in Perú, and so the Coca Cola Company bought Inca Cola sometime in the nineties.
As well, the best beer I´ve ever tasted, Cusqueña (named after the city of Cusco) and two other major Peruvian beers are also now owned by the German (I think?) beer giant... (Backus and Johnston-something or other)... When filming a beer commercial at Machu Picchu, they dropped a tower of beer flats onto the most important feature - the 1000 year old sun dial, and a chunk broke off, rendering it´s readings inaccurate.
Incidentally, this is kind of what the train strike was about that resulted in the 72 million blisters on my hands and feet... Essentially the only way to get to Machu Picchu is to take the train to Aguas Calientes (or walk for 4 days). The train system, PerúRail, is now owned by a British company, giving it a monopoly over access to Peru´s most important tourist attraction. This is why the townspeople blockaded the trains in protest. There was also a large demonstration the next day in Cusco, with signs reading things like `Perú is not for sale´and such.
So I tried Inca Cola today. It is yellow and fizzy and tastes like bubblegum. It´s not bad actually, despite the bad reviews from my friends. I tried to order it one other time when we were on a big walk to visit some Inca Ruins, and when I said, ¨I´d like an Inca Cola please,¨ they all said, in unison, ¨Noooooooo!!!¨ so I opted for Fanta instead (yes, I drink Nazi coke. Look it up.) Well, today I didn´t have my bodyguards with me, so I ordered it, and I must say it tastes pretty good.
Apparently Inca Cola is a bit of a family tradition in Perú (said my Inca Trail guide, Rony). Whenever he has a nice dinner with his family, they always drink Inca Cola, for as long as he can remember. For the longest time Coca Cola couldn´t compete with Inca Cola in Perú, and so the Coca Cola Company bought Inca Cola sometime in the nineties.
As well, the best beer I´ve ever tasted, Cusqueña (named after the city of Cusco) and two other major Peruvian beers are also now owned by the German (I think?) beer giant... (Backus and Johnston-something or other)... When filming a beer commercial at Machu Picchu, they dropped a tower of beer flats onto the most important feature - the 1000 year old sun dial, and a chunk broke off, rendering it´s readings inaccurate.
Incidentally, this is kind of what the train strike was about that resulted in the 72 million blisters on my hands and feet... Essentially the only way to get to Machu Picchu is to take the train to Aguas Calientes (or walk for 4 days). The train system, PerúRail, is now owned by a British company, giving it a monopoly over access to Peru´s most important tourist attraction. This is why the townspeople blockaded the trains in protest. There was also a large demonstration the next day in Cusco, with signs reading things like `Perú is not for sale´and such.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home