El Policia
Well, no sign of the camera or memory card yet, even after talking to the kids again today being given a tour of the ¨special¨market where they sell all kinds of ¨second-hand¨goods. So he decided to go to the police to get a report for his insurance, and I went along in case he needed a bodyguard.
Actually I went because I´m a bit wary of the police and I was curious to see how things worked etc, especially in case it ever happens to me. (It also occurred to me that if it was me, I wouldn´t want to go to the police station alone, but that´s just me....) I´m very glad I did as it was a bit more hard-core than I expected. We went into the police station, where everyone was quite nice, and waited about 5 minutes to see the tourist policeman. We went into his office, and he asked what happened etc, and then proceded to grill the victim about why he didn´t report it right away last night when it happened! He asked a bunch of questions and had him write down his name and details. He said that they would launch an investigation, and then we had to go for a stroll to show him the exact walking route and about where he thinks it happened. Then the policeman asked to see Nick´s hostel, where he searched his room and bags to make sure he wasn´t hiding the camera! (That´s about when all those urban legends that you hear about police who search and plant come rushing to the forefront of your mind...) He also spoke a bit to the poor nervous hostal owner. And then he asked for all kinds of proof that he actually had a camera, like asking to see the charger, manual, etc. Quite fascinating! The guy was really nice and all, as much as we weren´t expecting a Cusquénian one-man crusade against insurance fraud in the UK.... :-)
Tomorrow he has to go to the National Bank, pay 3 soles (about $1 Cdn) to get some sort of stamped ticket. He then brings the ticket to the police station where apparently they will give him the incident report for insurance purposes. In the meantime, the investigation continues, and supposedly the officer will be viewing footage from the video camera in the plaza and questioning people... hmmm....
xoxo
Actually I went because I´m a bit wary of the police and I was curious to see how things worked etc, especially in case it ever happens to me. (It also occurred to me that if it was me, I wouldn´t want to go to the police station alone, but that´s just me....) I´m very glad I did as it was a bit more hard-core than I expected. We went into the police station, where everyone was quite nice, and waited about 5 minutes to see the tourist policeman. We went into his office, and he asked what happened etc, and then proceded to grill the victim about why he didn´t report it right away last night when it happened! He asked a bunch of questions and had him write down his name and details. He said that they would launch an investigation, and then we had to go for a stroll to show him the exact walking route and about where he thinks it happened. Then the policeman asked to see Nick´s hostel, where he searched his room and bags to make sure he wasn´t hiding the camera! (That´s about when all those urban legends that you hear about police who search and plant come rushing to the forefront of your mind...) He also spoke a bit to the poor nervous hostal owner. And then he asked for all kinds of proof that he actually had a camera, like asking to see the charger, manual, etc. Quite fascinating! The guy was really nice and all, as much as we weren´t expecting a Cusquénian one-man crusade against insurance fraud in the UK.... :-)
Tomorrow he has to go to the National Bank, pay 3 soles (about $1 Cdn) to get some sort of stamped ticket. He then brings the ticket to the police station where apparently they will give him the incident report for insurance purposes. In the meantime, the investigation continues, and supposedly the officer will be viewing footage from the video camera in the plaza and questioning people... hmmm....
xoxo
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home