Dunno really what to write. The weather is kinda weird - super sunny and blistering hot at times, and then yesterday it was only 11 degrees... I wasn´t expecting it - was wearing a skirt and flip flops... brrrr.
Today is the last day with my current Spanish teachers. Next week I have new ones. This morning we went to the market in class (supposedly to learn food vocabulary, but I think the teacher really just didn{t feel like working... :-) ). I always love markets. Pig heads, cow flanks, and whole fish just laying around on the table top, for you to peruse. Tons of dried fruits, nuts, spices in bins or sacs, and stacks of fresh fruit, things I´ve never seen before. I tried a tangeria. From the name you´d think it was like a tangerine, but it´s not - you eat the seeds only - kind of like pomegranent, only on the outside it looks like a very smooth orange. You break the skin open, and there´s a thick white flesh, and you poke a hole in it and squeeze out the juice and seeds and only eat them. We had two milkshake sized glasses full of fresh juice (pineapple and orange) for about 60 cents. I bought a bag of peanuts for about 30 cents.
I wish I had the time, because my school has a volunteer program where you do 4 weeks of Spanish school and then 4 weeks of volunteering. There´s a number of interesting projects going on in Cusco. One that especially interests me is an afterschool type program for street kids. Many street kids are up until late late selling postcards and cigarettes (and finger puppers!! ?? ) to tourists on their way home from the bars. The program ensures that they get a glass of milk everyday, and a nutricious meal each week, helps with homework, social skills, etc etc.
Mmmmmm... what else.... they had a cooking class at the school last night, but I bypassed it because, well, I despise cooking, so I imagine it wouldn´t be much different in Perú... I chose dinner and red wine instead. I am waiting for the day when mi amigos try the guinea pig. UNFORTUNATELY I am unable to sample the delectable dish because I don´t eat things with legs, so I will just take pictures. We met an English girl in Oz who said she loved the alpaca, but the guinea pig is disgusting. Who knows, but thankfully I wont have to. Someone at a table near to us ordered it the other night, and they serve it whole, on a platter, with a little tiny apple in its mouth, and its little legs sticking straight down, as if it was standing patiently on the plate. Yuuuu-uuuuuuum!
Con amour de Perú, el pais de bueno cusina...
xoxoxo
Today is the last day with my current Spanish teachers. Next week I have new ones. This morning we went to the market in class (supposedly to learn food vocabulary, but I think the teacher really just didn{t feel like working... :-) ). I always love markets. Pig heads, cow flanks, and whole fish just laying around on the table top, for you to peruse. Tons of dried fruits, nuts, spices in bins or sacs, and stacks of fresh fruit, things I´ve never seen before. I tried a tangeria. From the name you´d think it was like a tangerine, but it´s not - you eat the seeds only - kind of like pomegranent, only on the outside it looks like a very smooth orange. You break the skin open, and there´s a thick white flesh, and you poke a hole in it and squeeze out the juice and seeds and only eat them. We had two milkshake sized glasses full of fresh juice (pineapple and orange) for about 60 cents. I bought a bag of peanuts for about 30 cents.
I wish I had the time, because my school has a volunteer program where you do 4 weeks of Spanish school and then 4 weeks of volunteering. There´s a number of interesting projects going on in Cusco. One that especially interests me is an afterschool type program for street kids. Many street kids are up until late late selling postcards and cigarettes (and finger puppers!! ?? ) to tourists on their way home from the bars. The program ensures that they get a glass of milk everyday, and a nutricious meal each week, helps with homework, social skills, etc etc.
Mmmmmm... what else.... they had a cooking class at the school last night, but I bypassed it because, well, I despise cooking, so I imagine it wouldn´t be much different in Perú... I chose dinner and red wine instead. I am waiting for the day when mi amigos try the guinea pig. UNFORTUNATELY I am unable to sample the delectable dish because I don´t eat things with legs, so I will just take pictures. We met an English girl in Oz who said she loved the alpaca, but the guinea pig is disgusting. Who knows, but thankfully I wont have to. Someone at a table near to us ordered it the other night, and they serve it whole, on a platter, with a little tiny apple in its mouth, and its little legs sticking straight down, as if it was standing patiently on the plate. Yuuuu-uuuuuuum!
Con amour de Perú, el pais de bueno cusina...
xoxoxo
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home