Los Niños etc
Spanish classes are going well. My day is incredibly full, but all with great stuff. Turns out my private lesson is at 4:45-6:30, so I can always make the evening lecture. The lectures are done in Spanish, so I think of it as listening practice, which means I am doint about 7 hours per day of solid Spanish learning, plus incidental stuff in the real world. In my 4 hour break I try to eat lunch, do homework for my 3 classes, and visit at least one site - Cusco is full of Inca ruins, museums, etc. Then back to class at 445, lecture 645 to 730/745, and then dinner - and I have found some time for some cervezas as well, which is nice. Last night we had a beer at the ¨highest Irish-owned pub on the planet¨. Also we go to more Peruvian places.
This afternoon I have just returned from a visit to the Hogar Clinica por Los Niños (a clinic/hospital/residence for kids with disabilities). They do rehab, therapy, medical care, etc. and the kids live there full time (see below). They range from babies to about 14 yrs or so. The school arranges a visit once a week, and we go and spend time playing with, talking to, and cuddling the kids. It was quite amazing, as most of them are in their cribs/beds most of the day, and really responded amazingly to us when we picked them up or talked to them or played with them. Most have limited mobility, and their crib gets a little old for them. They were just beautiful. It was a really touching experience. I think that I will try to go a few more times while I´m here.
San Juan de Dios"
About 95% of the children that come to the clinic are from extremely poor families.
Handicapped children are often considered a punishment and at times are not cared for at all. The clinic offers a parent program to teach the parents how to properly care for their child. The parent in the program lives on the premises for the last 3 weeks of their child's stay and is taught how to care for their child. In exchange for participation in the program, each parent assists in duties at the clinic, such as laundry, cooking, or cleaning. Although treatment is normally free, a symbolic fee is often paid, such as a bag or rice or potatoes.
What else... mmm.... my classes are great, and I´m learning a lot. I am so pleased - I remember being in Costa Rica, as a complete beginner, and when we went site seeing, the more advanced students than me would tell me what was actually going on. And now I find myself in that position every now and then, when my friends ask me what someone said, or what is the word for ... Its nice to see that I have made a bit of progress.
Tonight the school is playing a film (based on a Gabriel Garcia Marquez book) so I´m in heaven. We watch on an outdoor terrace. Looking forward to it.
I am well and happy, and I hope you are too.
xoxo
This afternoon I have just returned from a visit to the Hogar Clinica por Los Niños (a clinic/hospital/residence for kids with disabilities). They do rehab, therapy, medical care, etc. and the kids live there full time (see below). They range from babies to about 14 yrs or so. The school arranges a visit once a week, and we go and spend time playing with, talking to, and cuddling the kids. It was quite amazing, as most of them are in their cribs/beds most of the day, and really responded amazingly to us when we picked them up or talked to them or played with them. Most have limited mobility, and their crib gets a little old for them. They were just beautiful. It was a really touching experience. I think that I will try to go a few more times while I´m here.
San Juan de Dios"
About 95% of the children that come to the clinic are from extremely poor families.
Handicapped children are often considered a punishment and at times are not cared for at all. The clinic offers a parent program to teach the parents how to properly care for their child. The parent in the program lives on the premises for the last 3 weeks of their child's stay and is taught how to care for their child. In exchange for participation in the program, each parent assists in duties at the clinic, such as laundry, cooking, or cleaning. Although treatment is normally free, a symbolic fee is often paid, such as a bag or rice or potatoes.What else... mmm.... my classes are great, and I´m learning a lot. I am so pleased - I remember being in Costa Rica, as a complete beginner, and when we went site seeing, the more advanced students than me would tell me what was actually going on. And now I find myself in that position every now and then, when my friends ask me what someone said, or what is the word for ... Its nice to see that I have made a bit of progress.
Tonight the school is playing a film (based on a Gabriel Garcia Marquez book) so I´m in heaven. We watch on an outdoor terrace. Looking forward to it.
I am well and happy, and I hope you are too.
xoxo
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home