Monday, November 28, 2005

First Day of School!!

I started school today! 4 hours of group spanish class in the morning from 8:30-12:30, and then 2 hours private class in the evenings 6:30-8:30. I did the group class this morning, and its the perfect level for me!!!! I really liked it. I cant believe how much I learned. We have 2 different teachers for the morning, each for 2 hours, which really helps break up the time. Then I have private lesson this evening and then a welcome dinner for the new students.

The school is very professional and well organized - really nice. I am quite happy. Its also in a lovely building with a big sunny terrace and bright classrooms. Light is important to me... :-) Also, I have my afternoons free, which I think will be good? I can tour a bit or study or chill out ... whatever. Sounds good... They also offer free lectures after classes about things like Peruvian culture, Inca culture, etc etc. It sounds like there are usually some at 12:30, but I might miss some of them cuz a lot seem to be during my private classe at 6:30. Therefore I may try to change the time of my private classes - though that would leave less time for leisure... hm... such is the life.

I think I will switch to a room with a private bathroom today - I deserve it since Im in school. :-) It will only cost an extra $9 over the course of the week, so its worth it. After I finish school Ill go back to rooms with shared baños... bleckh:-) Kidding - its not bad at all, really. I just wear my cool pink Roxy flip-flops in the shower... :-)

I get free internet at my spanish school. Not that I couldnt afford the 30 cents per hour before, but whatever, shoestring shoestring!

One more thing Im considering is volunteering at the SOS Childrens Village while Im here, maybe in my afternoons. I worked for their office in Ottawa for awhile and admire their work. http://tinyurl.com/9nt26 or www.soschildrensvillages.ca to see what they do. I dont know - its probably overly ambitious, what with 6 hours of spanish classses and factoring in transportation to the village, but Im just writing my musings here, so we´ll see what happens. I am definitely planning to visit though, as the executive director in Canada mentioned that he could arrange visits to villages if I wanted when I travel. They dont normally accept international volunteers as they dont want to have to expend resources on them if they get sick or in trouble that should go to the children, but maybe since Im affiliated with a language school that worries about all that stuff if i need it, they will be more interested?? Anyways, we´ll see. Just rambling my thoughts to you...

Hasta mañana...
xoxo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home