Day 2 Peru
Arequipa, Peru
I had a good day today. Im feeling much better after a good nights sleep. I do speak more spanish thn I thought, and I understand more than I thought, though listening is my weak point (for now!)
Soooo.... I went to a cool monastery that´s actually a nunnery. It´s huge, like a village, but in 1970 the government decided they needed to modernize so they coralled all the nuns into a tiny portion, and then opened the rest for tourism!!! Crazy - poor old nuns... they got modernized! Anyways it was really neat. Lots of crooks and crannies. They sure had a lot of kitchens. Hungry nuns.
Then I went and saw a frozen dead girl - well actually she is a 12 year old girl who was human-sacrificed at the top of a mountain to appease a volcano 500 years ago - they call her the Ice Princess. Almost immediately after she died (hours) she froze, so she´s perfectly preserved! Eerie. Skin, hair, the works. There{s even blood and gastric fluids. They know she had vegetables shortly before she died, and a highly intoxicating drink called chicha. Hm. It was totally facsinating though. The stuff that was offered with her (cermics and figurines made of gold and silver to represent the gods) are also preserved, even her sandals, the blankets she{s wrapped in, the bag she carried to the top of the mountain, etc!! It was a great honor to be chosen as The chosen one - you had to be the child (pure and innocent) of nobility, and the most beautiful. Basically she was being sent to live with the gods and represent her people. Totally interesting.
I fly to my ´home´ for the next 2 weeks (Cusco) tomorrow. Start Spanish school on Mon. 4 hours per day of small group lessons and 2 hours of private. Remind me when I complain, that I was the one who chose it.... :-) I´m looking forward to it quite a lot.
The punctuation on these keyboards is all mixed up from ours, so bear with my mistakes - I don´t feel like correcting every apostrophe, nd it{s too hard to leave them out - my fingers move faster than my conscious thoughts.... Also, the A key sticks so I miss a´s all the time.
Anyways, take care!
xoxo
I had a good day today. Im feeling much better after a good nights sleep. I do speak more spanish thn I thought, and I understand more than I thought, though listening is my weak point (for now!)
Soooo.... I went to a cool monastery that´s actually a nunnery. It´s huge, like a village, but in 1970 the government decided they needed to modernize so they coralled all the nuns into a tiny portion, and then opened the rest for tourism!!! Crazy - poor old nuns... they got modernized! Anyways it was really neat. Lots of crooks and crannies. They sure had a lot of kitchens. Hungry nuns.
Then I went and saw a frozen dead girl - well actually she is a 12 year old girl who was human-sacrificed at the top of a mountain to appease a volcano 500 years ago - they call her the Ice Princess. Almost immediately after she died (hours) she froze, so she´s perfectly preserved! Eerie. Skin, hair, the works. There{s even blood and gastric fluids. They know she had vegetables shortly before she died, and a highly intoxicating drink called chicha. Hm. It was totally facsinating though. The stuff that was offered with her (cermics and figurines made of gold and silver to represent the gods) are also preserved, even her sandals, the blankets she{s wrapped in, the bag she carried to the top of the mountain, etc!! It was a great honor to be chosen as The chosen one - you had to be the child (pure and innocent) of nobility, and the most beautiful. Basically she was being sent to live with the gods and represent her people. Totally interesting.
I fly to my ´home´ for the next 2 weeks (Cusco) tomorrow. Start Spanish school on Mon. 4 hours per day of small group lessons and 2 hours of private. Remind me when I complain, that I was the one who chose it.... :-) I´m looking forward to it quite a lot.
The punctuation on these keyboards is all mixed up from ours, so bear with my mistakes - I don´t feel like correcting every apostrophe, nd it{s too hard to leave them out - my fingers move faster than my conscious thoughts.... Also, the A key sticks so I miss a´s all the time.
Anyways, take care!
xoxo
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home