Sunday, October 09, 2005

This blogging thing...


This blogging thing...by kdmacken @ 2005-09-02 - 13:47:57 (from my old blog)

This whole blog thing is sooo self-indulgent. What a wierd sociological twist of our society. The number of blogs on-line has doubled since March, 2005. Will it double again in another five months? It's so strange. I have my own little private public space, where I can post my thoughts, articles that interest me, pictures, etc etc... whatever I please. And anyone with internet access can read it.

So out there in cyberspace, for the first time in the history of humans, are the thoughts and opinions of billions of regular people. Their take on the big news of the day, or on the minutia of their daily lives. Unedited, uncensored, and unfiltered. In the blogosphere no one really decides what is seen or not seen, reported or not reported, and what you consume is limited only by your own search and attention span.

Wierd because of the paradox: a) it is so self-indulgent to think that anyone would be interested in what I, a nobody, post or write or think in my blog...b) reading other people's blogs is strangely addictive...

I started my blog because I always felt like I was exploding with articles or stories that I found, and wanted to share. It was too easy to annoy those in my email address book with anything that at the moment I found "AMAZING" or "FACINATING". The blog lets me post the stuff that fascinates me, and satisfies my need to share. It's very likely that no one but me will ever read it, but it's out there. A random collection of a tiny bit of the chaos that is in my head.

If anything, it gives me a place to compile and store whatever is grabbing my attention at that moment. It reminds me a bit of the old coil bound scrap books with brown pages, with newspaper clippings, photos, and comments scrawled randomly. That's kind of how I think of the blog. Years later I'll look back and say dude, relax! or something like that. It will be interesting I think, to see what occupied my consciousness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home